Tips To Wear a Ponytail With Hair Extensions
In this video hair tutorial, we will show you three different ways on how to wear a ponytail using clip in hair extensions:a messy ponytail, a sleek high ponytail, and a romantic ponytail. These styles are quick and easy to create, which makes it a perfect choice for an everyday hairstyle.Oh ponytails! Pretty sure everyone loves them…and trust us, a ponytail does NOT have to boring!
The beauty of these techniques is that you can use regular clip in hair extension wefts, without having to purchase a faux clip in ponytail. Watch the video below to learn how:
How to: Quick Messy Ponytail Using Hair Extensions
- This is probably our favorite way to wear hair extensions in a ponytail. The whole idea is to clip in the wefts in the same direction that your hair would go in naturally when put up in a ponytail.
- Separate some hair at the front and clip in a 2 clip weft as you normally would. If you want more volume in your ponytail, you can clip in two wefts in this section.
- Separate the hair mid-way and flip upside down. Make sure you leave enough hair at the nape of the neck to cover the wefts afterwards.
- Continue clipping in wefts, but this time upside down. This way, when you put up your hair in a high ponytail, the clips will not pull at your roots and will feel very comfortable. This tutorial is a great visual example on how to do this technique.
- Take out random hair pieces and baby hairs at the front to frame your face and get that messy look going.
- Tug at the top of your hair to loosen up the ponytail.
- Take random sections of the ponytail, and tease them. Here is a video tutorial on how to get volume and tease your hair, if you’re not sure how to do it.
- Use hairspray to set the look (we recommend a natural hairspray – read why in this post).
- For extra texture, scrunch the hair upwards with your hand. There you have it – a fun and super playful ponytail hairstyle!
How to: High Sleek Ponytail With Extensions
- Start off with creating a small ponytail at the crown of your head. This little ponytail will act as a secure base for clipping in the hair extensions.
- Take a 3 clip weft and start clipping it in around the ponytail. Be sure to clip in as close to the hair elastic as possible, so that you will have space to clip in other wefts. The tighter you clip these wefts in around the hair elastic, the more comfortable it will feel.
- Continue to clip 2 and 3 clip wefts in the same manner, around the ponytail that you’ve created.
- For extra thickness, you can use 1 clip wefts and simply clip them onto the wefts that are already clipped into your hair.
- Then, gather all your hair into a high ponytail and make sure that it covers the wefts. This is why it was important to clip them in tightly – the smaller the base, the easier it is to conceal it.
- Secure the ponytail with a hair tie and smooth away any flyaways.
- To finish off the look, take a hair strand and wrap it around the base of your ponytail. Not only will this hide the hair elastic, but will also give a very polished and unique look.
How to: Romantic Ponytail With Extensions
- For this hairstyle, you can either clip in some wefts (3 and 4 clip wefts) or the full set for extra thickness.
- Since this ponytail sits lower on our head, clip in the wefts as you normally would. Here is a tutorial on how to clip in extensions if you’re not sure how.
- Pull up the hair into a low ponytail. Feel free to have your hair parted whichever way you like it on you.
- Start curling your ponytail in soft curls. Here we have a great collection of videos on different techniques of curling hair – pick your favorite!
- Brush out the curls for a soft and romantic look. Your hairstyle is complete!