Beautiful Prom & Wedding Hairstyles for Short/Medium Hair
Prom and wedding season is just around the corner and if you’re looking for some last minute hairstyle ideas, look no further girl – we got you. We’ve teamed up with one of our favorite YouTubers, Elanna Pecherle, who’s got the perfect short/medium length hair to show you three incredibly easy hairstyles (not to mention incredibly gorgeous) for your special day.
No matter what color or style you’ve got, these hairstyles will match and compliment any prom dress better than your date for the night! Better yet, you can use these styles for other formal occasions too like a wedding or family get-together.
Watch Elanna’s easy tutorial below or keep scrolling down for our step-by-step guide on achieving all three of these easy and beautiful prom and wedding hair looks:
Classic Glamour Waves
It’s not everyday that we get to dress up, so we love this vintage inspired hairstyle for prom. Go for an old Hollywood glam style with smooth curls that will stay in place for an entire night of dancing. And trust us, this hairstyle is actually waaaaaay easier to do than it looks!
How to Get The Look:
- Start by spraying a heat protectant spray all over your hair. Want to try a natural heat protectant? Here’s our favourite all natural methods for protecting your hair.
- Part your hair to the side.
- Then split your hair in half into two separate sections. Secure the thicker of the sections out of the way using a hair tie.
- Starting with the thinner section, take a 1 1/2 inch curling wand and wrap a one inch piece away from your face. Curling away from your face enhances the vintage look for this hairstyle.
- Keep the wand pointing downwards and hold until the hair is warm. Slide the wand out to let go.
- Avoid starting the curl too close to the roots of your hair by your ears. You can start the curls higher the further you get away from your ear.
- Repeat this process until all the hair from this section is curled.
- Lightly spritz this side of your hair with hairspray once complete.
- Untie the other section of hair from the other side of your head. Start at the back side of this section and curl a one inch thick piece, again, away from your face.
- Once you have reached the hair that is closest to your ear, reverse the direction you curl your hair to towards your face instead.
- For the very front last section of your hair, wrap this piece more tightly around the barrel towards your face to achieve the perfect vintage wave in the front.
- Once this side is completed, lightly spritz with hairspray.
- Using a tangle teaser brush, lightly comb through your curls to turn them into softer waves.
- Spritz a little more hairspray to smooth down any fly-aways.
- If you’re planning to dance the night away, have a look at our best pointers on making your curls extra extra long here!
Messy Swirl Bun
Want a style that keeps your hair off your face and out of the way yet still feels really elegant? Try Elanna’s messy swirl bun. This style looks great on shorter hair styles and who doesn’t love a good up-do for prom?!
How to Get The Look:
- Curl your hair using the same method from the first hairstyle.
- Spritz a texturizing hair spray all around your head to add extra volume.
- Using a teaser brush, gently backcomb the top sections of your hair at the roots to add more height to your hair.
- Once all lifted, use hairspray to set the volume.
- Using a bobby pin, section off the top of your hair (from eyebrow to eyebrow for width) and pin into a small ‘poof.’
- Now gather all your hair at the back into a ponytail and start twisting it as if you were to twist it into a bun.
- Leave the ends of your hair out and pin the twist in place with bobby pins. Slightly intimidated by bobby pins? Check out our tips here for using them!
- Once the twist is secure, play with the curls from the ends of your hair that were left out of the swirl to loosen them up.
- Pin any pieces of hair that are a little too long or out of control.
This low bun up-do is the perfect combination of elegant and messy at the same time and we can’t stop obsessing over this look for prom! You can customize this hairstyle with a beautiful headband accessory that matches your dress, plus skip out on the heat for this one.
How to Get The Look:
- Part your hair just off centre and leave a few whispy pieces in the front to frame your face.
- Lightly backcomb the top of your hair at the roots with a teaser brush at the back of your head.
- Optional: Using a ribbon or pretty jewelled headband like Elanna, wrap this accessory piece around your head and tie it underneath your hair at the back. Remember to leave few whispy pieces in the front framing your face.
- Take a section right behind the headband at the side of your head and lightly twist it away from your face. Pin it in place with a bobby pin.
- Take another piece just below that twist, back comb it slightly for volume, and twist it away from your face. Again, pin this twisted piece with a bobby pin.
- Repeat this step once more with another section of hair so that all the hair from this side is twisted and pinned to the back.
- Do the exact same thing to the opposite side of your head, twisting three separate sections of hair away from your face and pinning each to the back in place.
- Lightly pull the top of your hair upwards to maintain volume and ensure you like the placement of the pinned twists before proceeding to the next step.
- Take all of your hair at the back and twist upwards. Pin the twists into the lower back of your head with pins. Make sure your twists aren’t too tight for a more effortless and ‘undone’ look.
- Finish off the hairstyle with some hairspray to set everything in place.
And voila! Three picture perfect prom hairstyles that are so easy to do and will look amazing on any shorter hair style for a night you’ll never forget! Don’t forget that you can also achieve these looks with longer hairstyles or with your Luxy hair extensions. For tips on blending your extensions better with shorter hair, check out our tips right here. Looking for other short hairstyle ideas? Try these looks for more casual occasions here and here!
Which hairstyle is your favorite? Let us know in the comments below!
Written By: Istiana Bestari