Travel Hairstyles Diary: Let’s Visit Zermatt, Amsterdam & Berlin
If you’re anything like us, we apologize for the major wanderlust you’re about to experience because one of our favorite YouTubers and absolute hair goals, Sarah Nourse, is about to take you on a fabulous hair adventure around Europe! Not only will Sarah show you some amazing scenes from her travels, but she’s also showing us three awesome hairstyles that are perfect for travelling.
When you’re travelling, you don’t want to have to worry too much about your hair. Sarah’s got this covered as she walks us through the steps to achieving three super fast, super easy, and super gorgeous braided hairstyles all using her favourite Luxy Hair extension set. Sarah uses her 160g Bleach Blonde custom-toned hair extensions and recommends using hair extensions to do these hairstyles because having longer and thicker hair is always easier to achieve braided styles.
Hair Extensions: My True Story & What I Learned
So if you’re not already planning your next getaway, get out your notebook and be prepared to take travel notes on this amazing adventure with Sarah!
First stop? Sarah takes us to the beautiful Zermatt, Switzerland. Zermatt is a tiny car-free ski town at the foot of Matterhorn mountain—a mountain that is famous for its iconic pyramid-shaped Matterhorn peak. With a population of 5,800 German speaking residents, Zermatt is a remote spot with epic views, a lot of character, and a ton of charm. Other than its amazing hiking and adventure opportunities, Zermatt is filled with tons of cute independent boutiques, ski shops, and local restaurants.
Perfect for a day of hiking and a bit of shopping around the town, Sarah rocks a causal undone and tousled fishtail ponytail that we can’t stop obsessing over. This style perfectly compliments the rustic Scandinavian vibes of Zermatt and is great for keeping your hair out of your face for wilderness excursions. Here’s how to get Sarah’s beautiful hairstyle look:
Undone Tousled Fishtail Ponytail
- Start by clipping in your Luxy hair extensions. Click here for a tutorial on how to properly clip them in.
- Gather all your hair into a loose low ponytail.
- Begin fishtailing the pony tail by separating the ponytail into two thick sections.
- Take a small section from the left side and cross it over to add to the right side. Now take a small section from the right side and add it to the left side.
- Repeat step 3. Alternate the thickness of the sections you cross over to create a more messy and tousled look.
- Leave a few inches of hair unbraided at the end of the ponytail and secure with a clear or tiny elastic.
- Loosen the fishtail braid by lightly tugging the braid pieces outwards.
- Finish the style by wrapping the hair elastic with a small section of hair from the bottom of your unbraided ponytail.
Sarah adds an extra cute touch to this hair style by accessorizing with an oversized brim hat that’s great for protecting yourself from the sun when you’re exploring!
How To Blend Clip-In Luxy Hair Extensions With Thin Hair
Next, Sarah takes us to Amsterdam, Netherlands! Known for it’s elaborate canal system, narrow houses with gabled facades, and delicious ‘Stroopwaffles,’ Amsterdam is easily one of the cutest cities you’ll ever visit. Our favourite part? The bicycles! Biking is a huge part of the city’s culture—almost everyone rides a bike everywhere!
Sarah needs a cute hairstyle for exploring the quaint cobblestone streets before grabbing dinner at a local restaurant. This time, she opts for natural waves with a fast but awe-inspiring twist:
Fishtail Twisted Half-Up/Half-Down
- Part your hair into two sections and secure into two low pigtails.
- Using a 1 1/2 inch curling wand, wrap a one inch section around the barrel.
- Point the wand downwards and hold until the hair is warm.
- Before letting the curl fall after sliding the wand out from the wrapped hair section, use a clip to hold the curl together until the hair is fully cooled. This will make your curls hold for longer and create a bouncier effect.
- Repeat the process until all of your hair from each pigtail is fully curled.
- While your hair continues to cool, take this time to brush out your Luxy Hair extensions. Click here for the best techniques to brushing your hair extensions.
- Curl the extensions separately or use our favourite heatless curls technique as Sarah did the night before.
- Unclip the clips and let the curls fall. Lightly shake the curls out and remove the hair ties.
Clip in your Luxy Hair extensions.
- Take a two inch section of hair at the front of your head. Fishtail braid this section using the same technique as Sarah’s first hair style. Secure the braid with a clear or tiny elastic and pull on the braid to loosen it up.
- Take a small front section from the other side of your head and begin twisting it away from your face.
- Pull the braid and twisted section together to meet at the back of your head. Secure the braid and the twist together with another small or clear elastic.
This stunning half up-half down hairstyle is another great option for keeping your hair off your face while travelling and like a gorgeous Rapunzel princess, Sarah walks us through the breathtaking cherry blossoms that bloom around Amsterdam during the April season. *Sigh*
Hottest Hair Trends of 2017
Last stop on this trip? Sarah brings us to Berlin—arguably Europe’s most mesmerizing city of both glamour and grit. With it’s vibrant culture, cutting-edge architecture, mouth watering cuisine, and fascinating history, Berlin continues to attract year round visitors.
Berlin displays it’s thick history unapologetically so you’re bound to learn a lot if you stop by. The city is also famous for its iconic club and party scene, ultra cool fashion, and vibrant culture and art.
In this video, Sarah visits the Brandenburg Gate—one of Germany’s most significant monuments. Built between 1788 and 1791, the gate has now become a symbol of unity after the fall of the city in 1989. There’s so much to do and see in this city from it’s trendy restaurants, many art galleries, and mesmerizing historical landmarks, so Sarah needs a functional hairstyle that keeps her hair off her face. Today she opts for something more than just a regular ponytail and shows us how to accomplish a gorgeous side braided ponytail!
Side Braided Ponytail
- Start by taking 3 separate 1 inch sections at the front of your head.
- Start french braiding with these 3 sections by adding hair to each section before crossing them over, leaving half your hair on the opposite side of your head untouched. Here’s how to french braid your hair if you aren’t familiar with the technique.
- Regularly braid the rest of the hair on this side of your head once you have no more hair to add.
- Secure the finished braid with a clear or small elastic then loosen by gently pulling on the braided pieces outwards.
- Join the braid with the unbraided hair from the opposite side of your head together into a medium high ponytail at the back of your head.
- Secure with a hair tie. Cover the hair elastic with a one inch section of unbraided hair by wrapping it around the elastic and securing with a bobby pin.
And just like that, our mini e-trip with Sarah Nourse has come to an end. To catch more of Sarah’s adventures and style tricks, check out her channel here. If you love the braided look, we’ve got tons more ideas right here! What’s your favourite travel destination and where are you planning to go next? Let us know in the comments below!
Written By: Istiana Bestari
Products used in this tutorial:
Bleach Blonde #613
Length: 20″ inches